A bit of a lesser week this one, spend 3 days sitting at home being sick, so that was quiet a bummer. But that meant that I had some bits of extra time doing a final sculpting pass for two of my foliage sheets (hosta and golden pothos) and doing some fun little experiments with them in Blender like can be seen in the work in progress section down below. So more information can be found down in that section.
Big Changes to my blogposts
Maybe you have been digging through my older blogposts and noticed some changes. I have replaced the weekly tips section with a preview and a link to my Patreon.
So the current reasoning behind this is that all the content that is not included in the new monthly blog post yet will remain free for a while (timeline of this actually happening might change still) before locking it and getting people to support me in this manner. The current thinking process is that if you are seeing this week blog (#67) this will then make (#62) unavailable, still giving you enough time to read up on it yourself, roughly 5 weeks, but making people that are catching up or are less dedicated with reading these have to go through Patreon (and let's be honest, you can just sign up, get the compilation for 2$ and be done with it again, so still a bargain price for over 60 pages of tips :D)
This will hopefully drive more people to my Patreon and will allow me to further continue to expand and experiment with new features that might be interesting for people getting started in the industry or trying to break their way in.
But I would love to hear your input on this! So make sure to leave your comments down below.
I cannot explain how good it feels to have multiple days where I can spend a multitude of hours doing something that I really enjoy doing. It feels like it has been so long since I have really had the time to experience these stretches of time where I can do silly experiments, try new things and better get to grips with something new that I'm learning.
So this brings me to my little experiments in Blender this week! Trying some ways to get to use the leafs that I made in a procedural way that I can use. I still need to find a way to get a nice way to use those little leaves with stems in a way that I can make a Hosta plant with all the variation that comes with it. I have tried to use the Array modifier with a Object offset, and that gets some good results, but that only allows me to use one variation.
I've also tried to use Particles, which allows me to spread all the different instances within a collection. So this was a good start, but then I ran into some issues with controlling the particle system itself and converting it to a mesh. Because sometime the preview would look great and I would bake that specific frame to a static mesh and it would come out completely different. So I'm pretty sure that I can get some good results with this, but I need to do some more experimentation.
I really like the way these hanging bits of foliage are coming out for a first pass. Maybe adding a bit more curl to the leaves and definitely adding a nice texture to the stem itself would do wonders as well. So I will probably get to that as some point! :D
Callback to Blog #30
We have seen this piece before, the only difference now is that this is in Unreal Engine, and an amazing piece by Ognyan Zahariev.
He did an amazing translation of this piece into 3D, and I can't believe how close to the original it looks, so make sure to check it out in the Blog #30 link and compare it for yourself.
There is not much left for me to say on this one, I really love it, the way that Ognyan made the translation to 3D is just stunning, balancing all the lights, having the nice pieces of foliage to create a nice foreground element.
This is an amazing piece Ognyan, and thanks for inspiring me to do better and push myself in the Quality bar that I set for myself.
That's going to do it for me for this week, I'll catch you in the next one!
If you like these posts or if the tips are useful, please consider supporting the work that I do over on: